Elizabeth Bishop Graveside Reading
February 8 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Renowned poet, painter, memoirist, and short story writer, Worcester’s own Elizabeth Bishop (1911-1979) rests within Hope Cemetery. On what would be her 111th birthday, we gather by her grave to read her poetry and summon the scenes so skillfully painted in her verse. Come celebrate with the WCPA and Beth Sweeney, director of the new Mapping Worcester in Poetry Project, on Tuesday, February 8th at 12:00pm.
To find Bishop’s grave in Hope Cemetery at 119 Webster Street:
- Enter the cemetery’s main gate and drive along Curtis Avenue
- Take your fourth left onto Beech Street
- Proceed for one block until you see two trees next to each other on the left side of the road
- Bishop’s grave lies behind the first tree
- If you like you can use these coordinates: 42°14’08.7″N 71°49’43.2″W
If you have a bit of time that day you might wish to use this new downloadable, 20-minute do-it-yourself driving tour which will lead you past five Bishop sites on Main Street in Worcester to end at her grave in Hope Cemetery. Download the Bishop DIY Driving Tour.
Please wear appropriate attire, footwear, and a mask.