Submissions are now open for the WCPA’s 2021 Poetry Contest: The Frank O’Hara Prize!
Paper submissions can be mailed to WCPA Poetry Contest, PO Box 804, Worcester, MA 01613.
2021 CONTEST JUDGE:
Pam Bernard is our 2021 Contest Judge.
Pam Bernard, a poet, painter, editor, and adjunct professor, received her MFA in Creative Writing from the Graduate Program for Writers at Warren Wilson College, and BA from Harvard University.
Her awards include a National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship in Poetry, two Massachusetts Cultural Council Fellowships, and the Grolier and the Pablo Neruda Prizes in Poetry. She has published four books: three full-length collections of poetry, and most recently a verse novel entitled Esther, published by CavanKerry Press.
Ms. Bernard lives in Walpole, New Hampshire, and teaches creative writing at Franklin Pierce University and also conducts private workshops.
- Email submissions will not be accepted. The only way to submit electronically is by visiting our Submittable page. There is an additional fee to submit electronically, even if you are a member of the WCPA.
- Poems must be the original work of the entrant, in English, and must not be previously published.
- Submit no more than THREE (3) poems in any form.
- Manuscripts must not be stapled or attached in any way.
- Poems must be printed on 8 1/2″ x 11″ white paper.
- Do not put your name on the individual poems.
- Include a cover sheet with your name, address, telephone number, and the title of each poem.
- Paper submissions can be mailed to WCPA Poetry Contest, PO Box 804, Worcester, MA 01613.
- Submissions will not be returned.
- Entrants who wish to be notified of contest results must enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope with their entry.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Residents of Worcester County, or
- WCPA members in good standing, or
- Students or employees of institutions within Worcester County
- First Place winners of previous WCPA annual poetry contests are not eligible.
- There is no entry fee for WCPA members.
- Non-WCPA members: $8.00
- Make check or money order payable to Worcester County Poetry Association.
- Contest fees are waived if you join the WCPA or renew your membership with your entry. You can include a check with your submission or join/renew via our online store.
JUDGING & AWARDS:
- First Place: $100 – Second Place: $50 – Third Place: $25
- Winning poems will be published in The Worcester Review, after which all rights revert to the poet.
- Contest winners will be announced in June 2021.
- Winners’ Reading & Award Reception to be held in September 2021.
- The WCPA Annual Poetry Contest does not pre-select poems: the contest judge sees all entries.